Erectile dysfunction (impotence) is the inability to get and keep an erection firm enough for sex.
Having erection trouble from time to time isn’t necessarily a cause for concern. If erectile dysfunction (ED) is an ongoing issue, however, it can cause stress, affect your self-confidence and contribute to relationship problems. Problems getting or keeping an erection can also be a sign of an underlying health condition that needs treatment and a risk factor for heart disease.
Sometimes, treating an underlying condition is enough to reverse ED. In other cases, medications or other direct treatments might be needed.
Causes of ED:
- Most often when blood flow in the penis is limited or nerves are harmed.
- Stress or emotional reasons.
- As an early warning of a more serious illness, like atherosclerosis (hardening or blocked arteries), heart disease, high blood pressure or high blood sugar from diabetes.
For a comprehensive and current overview of what erectile dysfunction is, please visit this website.
Dr Malouf has significant experience in treating ED and takes a holistic approach to diagnosing your condition and devising the best treatment path.
- Oral medical treatment
- Addressing any underlying cause (medical disease, depression)
- Surgical and device options